Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Dentist

We went to Carissa's and Gabe's 6-month dental check up today. And desptite, all of Carissa's protests last night I had her convinced to do the pictures (x-rays) and to let the dentist look at her teeth. Last visit she did the x-rays and she was completely upset for the rest of the appointment and did nothing else, so I figured one step at a time. Last summer we found out that Carissa had 6 cavities, we did a great job brushing her teeth but we didn't floss her teeth. Isn't it enough to manage to brush a 2 and 3 year olds teeth? The answer was no, the cavities were between her 1 year old molars and 2 year old molars. She was put to sleep and all the cavities were filled and she also got one silver cap. She hasn't wanted anything to do with the dentist since then. Also for the last year Carissa and Gabe get their teeth brushed twice a day and flossed once a day almost every single day, because I felt so horrible about Carissa's cavities I didn't want her to get anymore. And I wanted to save Gabe from cavities althogether.
So we get to the dentist's office today and Carissa did really well. She did the pictures, flossing and let the dentist look all without protest. When they tried to brush her teeth she didn't want anything to do with it so they said maybe next time. And Gabe did all of his appointment and did great with it. He didn't seem to mind at all. But, now for the bad part Carissa might have one more small cavity. The dentist said that it was still iffy, but he thought that the safe route would be to take care of it now. Because, it is one small cavity he said that we can just gas her and take care of it in office, not like the last time. So we are currently scheduled for the end of this month. At this rate she will never like the dentist's office. For myself, I've still never had a cavity and I've probably flossed Carissa's and Gabe's teeth now more than I've ever flossed my own teeth. I just never got in the habit of doing it, and was lucky enough that I could get away with it.

No comments: