Gabriel did great today at the hospital before surgery and he really enjoyed playing with the toys there. He had to wait in two different waiting rooms and in a small hospital room in between the two waiting rooms (that is where he changed clothes). He got to ride in a wagon into the operating room after we gave him kisses and hugs and he didn't cry or get upset. He went back just before 9:30 this morning and I got to go back to see him about 10:30, so we didn't have to wait very long. The surgeon said that the tumor was bigger than it looked, about the size of a marble. Now Gabe has stitches with glue on top, and we just need to keep him from bothering them now while he heals.
When I got up to go back and see Gabe after he woke up the nurse warned me that he was very unhappy and that the nurses were having some problems with him and asked if I would rather have Ben go, because he might be stronger to hold Gabe still. I said that I thought I would be okay; Carissa was really upset when she woke up after getting tubes in her ears so I figured that Gabe might do the same thing. When I got back to Gabe and he saw me he went straight for me, and I just stood there and held him. He relaxed and actually went back to sleep on my shoulder. Before I got back there it was taking 3 nurses to prevent him from hurting himself after waking up, and the first thing he said to me before falling asleep was that he wanted to leave.
We went through a few spells of Gabe being combative with us and the nurses, but they were all pretty short. He was just so tired and wanted all the monitors and the IV gone, so that he could just go home. He drank some apple juice and kept it down, so we got to leave at about 11:30. Gabe just kept going right back to sleep every time we woke him up until about 1 pm, and then he was up until bed time. He has told us a few times today that his owie hurts, but it can't be too bad since he doesn't get upset or mention it much. He has had some medicine today for pain, and he is started to look a little bruised now. The surgeon said that he would probably end up looking like he had a black eye by tomorrow, but that was normal. The glue is supposed to come off in about 10 days and we are supposed to bring Gabe back in for a check up with the surgeon in 3 weeks.
When I got up to go back and see Gabe after he woke up the nurse warned me that he was very unhappy and that the nurses were having some problems with him and asked if I would rather have Ben go, because he might be stronger to hold Gabe still. I said that I thought I would be okay; Carissa was really upset when she woke up after getting tubes in her ears so I figured that Gabe might do the same thing. When I got back to Gabe and he saw me he went straight for me, and I just stood there and held him. He relaxed and actually went back to sleep on my shoulder. Before I got back there it was taking 3 nurses to prevent him from hurting himself after waking up, and the first thing he said to me before falling asleep was that he wanted to leave.
We went through a few spells of Gabe being combative with us and the nurses, but they were all pretty short. He was just so tired and wanted all the monitors and the IV gone, so that he could just go home. He drank some apple juice and kept it down, so we got to leave at about 11:30. Gabe just kept going right back to sleep every time we woke him up until about 1 pm, and then he was up until bed time. He has told us a few times today that his owie hurts, but it can't be too bad since he doesn't get upset or mention it much. He has had some medicine today for pain, and he is started to look a little bruised now. The surgeon said that he would probably end up looking like he had a black eye by tomorrow, but that was normal. The glue is supposed to come off in about 10 days and we are supposed to bring Gabe back in for a check up with the surgeon in 3 weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment